Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

From the News: Wolves break into polar bear exhibit at Winnipeg Zoo


Last month, I featured a "From the News" describing a mixed-species exhibit at the Dublin Zoo.  Not to be outdone, some of the animals at the Assiniboine Park Zoo decided to introduce themselves to each other to create their own mixed-species exhibit.

I'm glad that the wolves and polar bears opted not to harm one another during their brief interaction, and I'm sure if must have been incredible for anyone who got to witness it (though probably terrifying for their keepers). For the record, I have heard of successful mixed-species exhibit featuring gray wolves with both brown and black bears.  As far as I can tell, no one has tried one with polar bears.  (I did read of an attempt to exhibit polar bears with arctic foxes... it was successful... until it wasn't).

These new exhibits, you know... just takes some time to work some of the kinks out.

polar bear Assiniboine Park Zoo Journey to Churchill
Mike Koncan / Global News

No comments:

Post a Comment