Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Aquarists Wanted

In a recent blog post, I expressed some zoo-related New Year's Resolutions for 2014.  I've also made some concerning the blog itself (sorry I've barely posted the last few days - Holiday festivities and all...).  Foremost among them, I would like this blog to a be a bit more representative of the other half of the zoo profession: aquariums.

Outside of a brief stint as a volunteer at the now-closed DC aquarium, I know relatively little about what goes on in aquariums.  I've been to plenty, and written reviews of a few, but unlike my zoo reviews, these have all been layman's visits.  I haven't written any fact sheets about fish or aquatic invertebrates (or any invertebrates, for that matter).  This is unfortunate, as there are a lot of exciting issues surrounding aquariums - separate from those of traditional zoos - which I just haven't felt competent or informed enough to write about.  The nearest I've gotten is hosting a guest editorial or two about orcas in captivity, which doesn't really apply to 99% of the aquariums in the world.

See? I have no idea what this is... in my computer, it's just listed as "White Fish"... this is why I need help.

SO - if you are an aquarium keeper or someone with a lot of interest in the wet zoos, and you're reading this, I'd love to have some help.  Maybe an article or two?  Consider it an opportunity to spread the word about your profession and passion, and help make it known to others.  Interested?  Then shoot me a message at zooreviewer@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment